Sunday, November 3, 2013

Preparing for Puppy

I've grown up with dogs since I was two years old. But this is my first dog. As in, the first one I've picked out, paid for, and will be responsible for turning into a respectable canine citizen.

What have I gotten myself into?

It'll be another week or so until I have her, but I'm slowly getting things set up. All of the dogs we've had have been big dogs -- Bouviers, all weighing it at 70+ pounds -- so to switch gears to get ready for a smaller dog has been, well, a switch. (But some of her stuff is so cute.)

She's also a short hair -- score on the "needing less grooming tools" department. But enter blanket department. (Which, to be honest, are a lot cuter and way more fun to buy than grooming tools.) While I'm not really one who gets the overly cutesy dressing up of one's dog, I do appreciate the little dog blankets that look like miniature horse blankets. Those just look downright snazzy.

Puppy-proofing has commenced, including switching the more precious of my DVD collection to a more inaccessible shelf. The ones on the lower shelves, I won't be quite as distressed if those cases end up with a couple of gnaw marks along the way.

I kind of feel like an anxious mother, just wondering when the kid is going to figure out how to jam a fork in the electrical outlet...

No comments:

Post a Comment