Sunday, July 13, 2014

trail buddy



Right now, trail running is my Thing To Do. It's keeping me occupied and out of trouble, gives both me and Artemis the exercise we need, and it's something I can do for fun without too much emotional investment. (Endurance riding is my life passion, but it's a constant rollercoaster of emotional ups and downs. I have no desire to go after trail running with that kind of depth or commitment.)

It's also way more interesting than our daily walking route of sidewalks and canal roads.

Given my choice, I would trail run any day over suburbia...but the closest trails are a 30-minute (or more) drive, so my trail running activities tend to be slated for the weekends.

Artemis has been having a blast with it...she is definitely a natural trail dog. The last two weekends, we've gone up to the Brown's Ranch trailhead at the Sonoran Preserve, an idea I've ridden quite frequently. It's almost as much fun to hike/run it.

Artemis ahs also discovered what small, furry rodents are, and so badly wants to chase them. Preserve is "on-leash only," so her hunting instincts will just have to wait.

Photo spam from the last two weekends. :)

From July 6...we had an unseasonably cool, overcast day.

found a trail prize!

surveying the scenery

SQUIRREL!!!

<3 my trail buddy
And from today, July 13. Definitely more seasonally hot and humid and sunny. Handed my phone off to Dad a number of times, so have a good collection of photos I don't normally get.

last night's full moon still in evidence

pause for photo op

lots of funky rock formations

see puppy try to strangle herself


happy trail dog!

cooling hot puppy at the end of the hike --
plopped her in the shallow horse trough

"I love you, Mommy!"

another fun hike with my bestest puppy

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It really is, especially in this area. Probably some of the most barefoot-friendly footing in the Phoenix area. Given my choice and the right opportunity, this is where I will end up living.

      Delete
  2. Artemis <3

    Which gaiters do you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're Dirty Girl Gaiters. (http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/) Have two pairs of them and really like them!

      Delete